Sarcasm, sex, and assorted splippery stuff

Thursday, February 02, 2006

R.I.P. Arrested Development


"G.O.B. get rid of the Sea Ward."
"I'm not leaving until I've had my say."
...awkward silence...

Go figure Fox is going to cancel the best sitcom since, well, ever (although to be perfectly honest, I'm sort of surprised they ever picked up something so clever in the first place).

I know a million people have written a million posts about how stupid American TV is getting, but it really is rather bleak, isn't it? Just a few years ago, we had the early seasons of Frasier, ER (before Dr. Greene left), The X-files, and Seinfeld. Remember? We actually used to look forward to watching our shows.

Now check out the Nielson ratings for the week of January 23rd through 29th, this year:

1. American Idol - Tuesday
2. American Idol - Wednesday
3. CSI
4. Without a Trace
5. CSI: Miami
6. Dancing With the Stars
7. Lost
8. Grey's Anatomy
9. Two and a Half Men
10. NCIS

There's nothing to watch except for BBC specials on PBS. Even my Gilmore Girls have gone downhill (Get your act together, Palladinos. Rory has been dicking around with the wrong crowd for too fucking long).

Now Fox has gone and killed off the Bluths, the most perfectly dysfunctional family since Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying."

Pretty soon all we'll have to keep us laughing is DVD box sets of "Monty Python's Flying Circus."
Pathetic.

More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home